Moving to Canada: Federal Skilled Worker Program, Express Entry

American professors and postdoctoral fellows can move to Canada on a temporary, employer-specific work permit. An offer from a university or college is required to receive this temporary work permit. Temporary work permits may be renewed.

American professors moving to Canada for a full-time, tenured or tenure-track position apply for permanent residency via the Federal Skilled Worker – Express Entry pathway. To be successful in the Federal Skilled Worker program, you must meet certain minimum requirements regarding work experience, language ability, and education. Your application is ultimately assessed based on six factors: age, education, work experience, French and/or English language skills, your likelihood of adapting to Canada successfully, and whether or not you have a valid job offer.

To improve your chances of receiving a Canadian job offer, the Canadian government offers the Job Bank program. Federal Skilled Worker – Express Entry applicants may register with Job Bank, which is a government-run tool that helps Canadian employers find qualified immigrant employees.

Those who are highly ranked through the Express Entry application process are invited to apply for permanent residency in Canada as Federal Skilled Workers. If you already have a job offer from a Canadian college or university, you may be invited to apply for permanent residency.

Processing of Express Entry applicants is done within six months, making this immigration route one of the quickest ways to gain permanent residency in Canada.

Permanent residency is attractive as it allows American professors to remain in Canada indefinitely. Moreover, permanent residency leads to Canadian citizenship, which some American professors may ultimately desire.